- This event has passed.
World Experts to Discuss Solutions for Land, Soils and Food in Africa
April 24, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 2:00 pm UTC+2
In cooperation with SEKEM Initiative, Heliopolis University for Sustainable Development and the World Future Council will hold a conference entitled “Solutions for Land, Soils and Food in Africa” at the university campus. The conference will shed light on the world champions in combatting desertification and enhancing food security and sustainable land management in Africa.
The event will bring together international high-level representatives and experts; among them:
- Mohamed Abdel Aty, the Egyptian Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation and Vice President of the African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW)
- Auma Obama, World Future Councilor and Founder and Director of the Sauti Kuu Foundation
- Monique Barbut, Executive Secretary of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD)
- Sebastian Lesch, First Counselor and the Head of German Development Cooperation with Egypt since 2014
- Hani Sewilam, Academic Director of Hydrology Department at RWTH Aachen University, Germany and Director of the UNESCO Chair in Hydrological Changes and Water Resources Management at the same university
- Hans Herren, President of Millennium Institute and Recipient of the Right Livelihood Award for leading a major biological pest management campaign in Africa
- Lothar Fickert, Professor Emeritus at Graz University of Technology
- Abdelkarim Sma, Lead Regional Economist and Officer in Charge for the Near East, North Africa and Europe division at the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Helmy Abouleish, Heliopolis University Chairman of the Board of Trustees, CEO of SEKEM Initiative, and recently recognized as UN Champion for Facing Climate Change. SEKEM received the Right Livelihood Award in 2003 for integrating the commercial success with promotion of the social and cultural development of society and the UNCCD Land for Life Award in 2015
- Alexandra Wandel, Director of the World Future Council Foundation which convened the Future Policy Award 2017 for combating desertification.
This event aims to raise awareness about exemplary policies and initiatives that are engaged to support sustainable development of lands, soils, and food production in Africa and create synergies between policymakers of international organizations (for instance the UN Convention to Combat Desertification, International Fund for Agricultural Development or the World Future Council) and national stakeholders (ministries, members of parliament, civil society, academia, and media). Thereby, it shall contribute to the protection of life and livelihoods in drylands and help achieve Sustainable Development Goal 15 “Life on Land”.